11/28/10

Burma. Expect the unexpected

I wanted to visit Burma (aka Myanmar) already in April. I didn’t manage to obtain my visa on time though, and so, I landed finally in Laos. This time it was different. I got my visa, got my ticket to BKK and there I was – off to another Southeast Asian adventure. However, I didn’t think that my Burma trip was going to be SO full of surprises...

Political tensions, lack of civilization, dirt, rats, insects, power and water shortage (meaning in some places basically no power after 9 p.m., no water after 10 p.m.) plus power breakdowns, no decent food, no communication with the outside world (no mobile phone, no Internet access). It was all fascinating! Like I would have travelled not only to a different country, but in fact travelled back in time and landed in kind of an Orwellian world.



I’ve also managed ;) to miss two planes, eat the most disgusting food ever, be badly bitten by insects, drive on the ‘roads’ in the countryside (where there were actually no roads), get lost in Yangon with no money (and had to hitchhike back to my hostel).



I have seen some beautiful landscapes, floating villages and floating gardens, one of the most scenic sunsets ever by the teak bridge and breathtaking views of the ancient temples of Bagan.



And for the first time in Southeast Asia I wasn’t traveling alone. Well, actually it was supposed to be another solo trip, but somehow I found two awesome travel buddies in Yangon and spent my whole stay in Burma with them. Doesn’t happen often that I meet people on my way I actually want to travel with. But this time it really was friendship at the first sight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment