9/20/09

From all the cities…

I was working the whole weekend. Well, working and listening to some good music – Bob Dylan and the new Pearl Jam album "Backspacer" which, btw, is pretty awesome. And Dylan wrote my all time favorite song “All Along the Watchtower”, which was then covered by Jimi Hendrix and which is actually the best cover of all time (hope everyone agrees on that?). And so, I couldn’t help but thinking of Seattle...

From all the cities I’ve ever been to, it was in Seattle where I felt like I was belonging to that place. You might have noticed by now that I really enjoy music. Good rock. And Seattle remains for me the world’s capital of music. Jimi Hendrix was born here – it speaks for itself :) Bands like Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Nirvana (well, ok, they were actually from Aberdeen), Alice in Chains, Soundgarden or Duff McKagan’s Loaded (my newly found love ;) come from Seattle.

Since I’ve heard the album "Ten" for the first time I’ve wanted to see Seattle. 15 years later – mission accomplished :) And I strongly recommend to visit that magnificent city to all of you who listen to rock, drink coffee, like to hang out in bars and enjoy live music, and who are not afraid of rain ;)


I also have to say right away that I won’t describe here all the typical tourists attractions (like Space Needle or museums), it’s not what makes the city that special. However, what’s maybe worth mentioning is that Starbucks and Boeing were founded in the city, Redmond is just around the corner ;) and BG was born and lives in Seattle. And that one of my favorite movies is set there. And no, I’m not referring to Sleepless in Seattle :P I mean Singles by Cameron Crowe, and although - as I was told - Seattleites laugh about the movie, I just love it ;)

And so, the next episode of my travel story will be all about music (well, also a bit about coffee, rain, good people and the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen).

For a good start some music:



Btw, Duff writes a column in Seattle Weekly: blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/duff_mckagan

1 comment: