8/30/09

Hungry like the wolf

I came back from Sri Lanka about a month ago. I wanted to visit that place for quite some time. I’ve already had a Lonely Planet guide through Sri Lanka and a (very good) map of the island. And one day I decided I won't wait any longer, found a nice priced ticket, bought a new backpack, took my shabbiest clothes, good repellent, sunglasses and a compass (that turned out to be very, very useful when one gets lost in the woods ;) The plan was to have no plan and just explore the island on my own.

What did I know about SL? Well, an island in the Indian Ocean, struggling with civil war, separatist movement and terrorist organization know as Tamil Tigers. Ceylon tea… Oh, and that the video to Duran Duran’s song Hungry like the wolf was shot over there. About ancient history or cultural heritage I didn’t know much (well, quite frankly, I didn’t know anything). So, why SL? No idea, I was just flipping through world atlas and thought "hm… why not?" It was remote enough and a (former) conflict zone – just perfect for an adventure ;) I also have to say that my friends were kind of skeptical when they heard that I was gonna go there alone. But well, skepticism of my friends & family never stopped me from doing reckless things :P

The moment I got out at the airport a wave of hot, humid air hit me, I took out my cigarettes, lighted one and took a look around. Lots of people waiting, getting in the cars, lots of lost looking tourists. I have no idea why, but it happens often to me that random people ask me for information, at the bus stop, in the streets. I guess I must look trustworthy somehow... And so, in those 5 minutes when I was waiting for my car, I was asked twice how to get to Colombo, where to exchange money and where to buy a local sim card. Do I look like SL Tourism Board representative? Somehow I doubt that they wear old jeans, safari jackets and big backpacks and smoke in the non smoking zone in front of the airport ;)

My car arrived, the guy who picked me up from the airport and whom I had contacted via couchsurfing.org turned out to be a really nice, smart and helpful young man. Now I can say – a friend. He showed me where to exchange money, buy a sim card and recommended a driver for the next days, but what’s most important he shared with me lots of interesting stories about the local life, culture (incl. quick update on Sri Lankan rock and heavy metal scene) and political situation - priceless!

But well, I was on my way to Kandy, Central Province...

to be continued...

So, let’s finish this part of my SL story with some really bad 80’s music:



Sorry, couldn’t resist. Found also this, waaaay better:

No comments:

Post a Comment