
I’m in New Dehli (no, actually I'm already in Agra, I wrote this in real time, didn't have the possibility to upload it though). I'm staying in Paharganj - it’s a district in Dehli, let me quote Lonely Planet: “Paharganj – with its seedy reputation for drugs and dodgy characters – is not everyone’s cup of chai”. Well, it’s not that bad. My hostel is really shabby though (dirt, bugs, the stuff – not friendly at all). But well, I’ve been to worse ;) Anyways, I arrived here at 3 am, after having a nap I decided to take a look around. And so, I spent about 8 hours exploring Dehli, and have seen among others the Red Fort and Humayun’s Tomb (both Unesco heritage list), then I took a walk through the beautiful Lodi garden.

I’ve also visited the Lotus Temple. I really like the idea of building a temple open to all religions. While I was waiting in a queue to enter the temple I started to “talk” to a Hindu family. They were so friendly. They didn’t know a word in English, but it didn’t really matter, we took pictures, laughed. It was fun. Then on my way back I got a bit lost in the streets of Paharganj (this small, narrow streets all look the same – for me at least ;) But honestly, Dehli didn’t make a big impression on me. I don’t know... I guess it will be really difficult to top Angkor (that remains for me
the ‘wonder of the world’). We’ll see though, tomorrow I’m heading to Agra to see Taj Mahal (which was also chosen as one of the ‘wonders of the world’).

But I must say that I don’t feel here very comfortable walking around alone. Surprisingly, I feel most safe and secure in dodgy Paharganj, because here no one cares about me, but during the day when I was visiting all the sights – it was really annoying. And by ‘it’ I mean ‘men’ – they are just being rude and offensive. They took pictures of me, tried to touch me (?!), made vulgar comments etc., etc. (and just for the record – I do not look good nor ‘attractive’, moreover, I’m even wearing a wedding ring – but they don’t buy it! They must act this way towards any female not accompanied by a man). I’ve noticed that the emancipation is not really an issue here ;) while I was checking in – they asked for all the information about my... husband and this I couldn’t really make up, so I had to write down the names and address of my... parents. LOL! (I’m way over 30).
And they don’t have beer in here. Or maybe they do, but don’t want to sell it to me (again - I’m over 30, I can have a beer once in a while...)
Now you understand my mixed emotions, don’t you? ;)
In the next episode: K. meets an interesting Afghan family on the bus to Agra, almost gets in a fight, sees Taj Mahal, and finally finds a cold, tasty Kingfisher.
No comments:
Post a Comment