There are many bats in Varanasi. They start to fly around after the sunset. One day I’ve seen bats flying around a kite like it was their ‘queen’ that they were worshiping. Silly creatures. Cute though.
***

Every scene you see along the Ganga is like a snapshot and could be the perfect picture. Everything that happens there is fascinating. Even if it’s only people talking, bathing or washing their clothes, or monkeys sitting on the rooftops or cows eating litter. I think I’ve never been so captivated by scenes from everyday life like in Varanasi.

As mentioned before Hindus are taking baths in the Ganges. It is I guess one of the most polluted rivers on this planet. And I mean not only sewage that flows directly into it, I personally saw a dead cow and parts of human body floating down the river. Still, there are also tourists who bath in the river! I’ve seen Japanese tourists who did so. Kamikaze.
***

The following day my new English friends were leaving Varanasi. We went together for a small tour though – by boat to the Varanasi Fort and museum. And it was the most awkward museum I’ve ever seen (maybe except of the Natural History Museum in Colombo that tops everything - remember my
Sri Lanka adventures? ;)
Well, museum in Varanasi is not like a museum it’s like a curiosity shop! It has e.g. old cars, figurines, pictures of maharajas, antique weapons and one masterpiece – an astrological clock, about 100 years old that still works and shows not only time and date (according to different calendars) but also astrological signs – Indian and ‘traditional’ Zodiac. The clock is maybe 2 meters big and reminded me actually of a... computer. Remarkable.

***
I’ve never been to such heat before (way over 40 degrees Celsius). I would never go for an AC room though. I consider this heat as part of the experience. I’d rather sweat to death ;)
***
In the evening I went for a walk. With constant power breakdowns it was not such a piece of cake. I had my flashlight, but still, walking around in the narrow streets when it’s pitch black and only hearing voices of people standing, sitting, lying around, sometimes seeing a face lighted by a candle – it was an experience.
Needless to say, I got lost in the streets. I was walking around and suddenly I’ve noticed a... tattoo that looked familiar. It belonged to Chris, my new neighbor who has just moved next door after Debbie and Angelo checked out. And so we went back to our hotel together.

On the way we had been offered I guess all possible drugs of the world ;) No beer though, and we wanted actually only a bottle of beer! Anyways, Chris was a very interesting guy, he traveled for months and years even, taking breaks from work. He was just on his way from Nepal. We were sitting on the balcony, smoking, watching the gath and we talked. Well, we talked for about 5 hours! Time flies when you’re having a good conversation. He told me loads of fascinating stories about Nepal and India. I know I said it before, but I do have luck when it comes to people I meet on my way. I guess that’s just my karma ;)
And next day I was getting slowly but surely on my way back to Europe. From Varanasi to Dehli, from Dehli to Moscow and finally from Moscow to Warsaw.

I know that my India adventure will be a trip to remember. Will I ever come back? To Varanasi – for sure. It’s one of the most fascinating, energetic, interesting, colorful and mysterious places I’ve ever been to. I still do have mixed emotions about India, it wasn’t always easy and nice, but I have learned a lot and I’ve seen some amazing things. All in all, it was one of the most rewarding travel experiences of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment