
I woke up at 5 am and already at 6 I was the “Western Temples” of Khajuraho and... I was there alone! No other tourists! Green parrots were flying around, monkeys were playing on the rooftops of the temples, and the shrines itself looked magical in the sunrise. Reminded me of Angkor in Cambodia and Bagan in Burma. I love exploring old temples! I should have become archeologist I guess.
***

At one of the first temples I had an encounter of the third kind ;) with a group of monkeys. Kind of ‘planet of the apes’ experience ;) As I was there alone and at the certain moment there were about 12-15 monkeys around me, I must say, I was feeling somewhat unsecure. I’ve remembered though that in Agra one guy told me that they scared the monkeys (who came to the rooftop restaurant) away with a bamboo stick. And then I’ve noticed on the stairs leading to the temple… a bamboo stick! I took it, and when I came closer the monkeys didn’t make a move! Lesson learned: while surrounded by monkeys, carry a wooden stick ;)
***

The carving on the temples show ancient gods, dragons (symbolizing desire, as I’ve learned), elephants, camels and other animals, brave warriors, beautiful women (hourglass type ;) as well as scenes from everyday life. The most impressive are though – I have to admit – the erotic carvings. They depict lots of different ways of making love. Or better to say – having sex, I somehow doubt that (at least some of them) are about love. Why? Cause they present threesomes, foursomes and even show a soldier having hots for his.. horse. Sick!
The sculptures do show a lot. And it’s not like metaphorical meaning, they do not ‘suggest’ things – they show the details! I have to admit, I was watching this and blushing every other carving ;) And when you think that the temples were built in the X-XI century... well, let’s face it I was somewhat shocked. Although some of the carvings are really beautiful, with a ‘light touch’ of erotic (romantic even, I would say), but others do show with details e.g. four persons in a rather acrobatic position... I feel uncomfortable even writing this. Thus, enough said.
***

After seeing the temples I went for breakfast to a small restaurant with a nice temple-view where I met a girl from Latvia - turned out, she would be travelling to Poland in 2 weeks, so, we decided to meet up for a drink in Warsaw :) Anyways, it was her second time in India and she was fascinated by the Hindu culture, the yoga, and also Hindu astrology and told me that most of the marriages in India are being arranged - and one of the most important criteria is astrological ‘compatibility’. Because that is how the families can see if the couple will ‘match’ and can live happily together. I find it really strange. But well, in Europe some people also do believe in horoscopes. I’m rather skeptical about it – but maybe some characteristics and personality is really somehow related to the dates we were born. I’m skeptical, but still, I think that the best sign is Aquarius ;) I don’t think though that I will explore the Hindu astrology, this is all a little too spiritual for me (I do have high respect for other cultures and for all religions, but this astrology stuff is like abracadabra/ harry potter spirituality ;)
***
In the evening I went to the Raneh waterfalls – hoping the see... surprise, surprise... the waterfall and spot some crocodiles. But well, it’s a dry season, there is NO waterfall! No crocs either. But the landscape was magnificent! I have seen a lot of waterfalls in my life, but I have never seen a waterfall totally dried out. It looked a bit like a moon landscape with all the stones, colored brown, green(ish), red. I enjoyed it a lot. I went there with my new friend – Sachim – on his motorbike. We drove at certain moments over 90 km/h (on Indian roads!) – an adrenaline boost ;)

As Sachim didn’t want any money from me, and was super-friendly, I invited him for dinner. I had (as almost always in here) aubergine nazimi which is, I think, the best food I’ve ever had. I told him that I loved Hindu cuisine and he said the cook at my hotel who’s his friend could teach me how to prepare the nazimi. Poor cook. He doesn’t know what expects him. I can’t cook, I’ve almost burned down my kitchen preparing popcorn... So, that will be a challenge! (for both – chef and me)
No comments:
Post a Comment