I should have put the Doors on my travel soundtrack. I woke up at 4 and at 4.30 was already on the way to the Borobudur temples. I also wanted to take some pictures of a nearby volcano – Mt. Merapi.
From Yogya it’s about 60 km one way. I must say, on that small motorbike with my driver speeding like the previous day about 100 km/h, on the not-always-perfect ;) roads it was a challenge.
We got to a view point from where I could see the stupa of the Borobudur temple emerging from the morning mist. The white haze over the valley looked like snow. It was a good view point with just a couple of other people. The driver came from a family of teachers - both parents were teachers. They both died in the 2006 earthquake...
He told me the Merapi erupted in 2010; later on, on the way to Merapi I could see the destroyed buildings and not fully recovered forests, the path was covered by volcano ash.
I spent the day hiking and visiting temples, incl. the famous Borobudur temple. As soon as I get a decent Internet connection I’ll upload some photos...
No comments:
Post a Comment