5/12/13

Visiting a submarine paradise

In Tongkoko I also met a rather exceptional family – namely, an American family of travelers who were already on the road for 10 months – mom, dad and two children daughter (aged 15) and son (19) whom I actually met later on in Manado as he didn’t join the family for the jungle trip. The nicest people ever. They were staying in the national park longer than me, but then planed to head to the island of Bunaken. I’ve heard this name a lot of times n Sulawesi. Apparently, an island famous for its unique submarine ecosystem. And one of the best diving places in the world. I decided to go there. The family asked if I wanted to share a boat. Sure. So we agreed to meet up the next day at a pier in Manado about 10 a.m. And indeed we’ve met there, and went together to the island. 

And, I must say, that despite of quite a few places I’ve already been to for snorkeling, I have never ever seen something that spectacular as the Bunaken submarine reserve (about 300 kind of coral, plus over 3000 species!). It’s an underwater paradise. The moment you stick your head into the water you can see another world – full of fish, starfish, gigantic sponges, corals. You swim above the coral reef which suddenly comes to an escarpment in the ocean deep. It’s like you were flying. I can only compare it to the feeling you get while skydiving. It’s amazing, it feels like flying, floating high above. And you know, that really was one of the perfect moments. 

My two day stay on the island was really relaxed. I just enjoyed the beauty of the island, not doing much. Well, apart from swimming, writing and talking to the family who shared with us – me and other people at our guesthouse some of their travel stories from Africa, Asia and South America. I have to admit, I was highly impressed by people who just loved to travel and lived their dream. They were no hippies, nor hipsters ;) or whatever, they were regular citizens with jobs, school etc. They must have planned the trip for years, the daughter was having classes online (whenever they had internet access), the son has just finished high school and was accepted at one of the renowned universities - that was the perfect time to have a gap year. They were personable and intelligent, open-minded and very nice. I can only say good things about them. And what they’ve seen and experienced along the way – impressive. For the first time in my life I’ve met such an incredible family. They easily could be characters in a series or a movie. With all those adventures… And, a loving family – like one for all and all for one, you know what I mean. And, traveling. I didn’t think it was possible. But it really is. You really can have a family and travel. Who would have thought... 

Anyways, from the Bunaken submarine paradise to Manado my boat was heading directly through the storm. It was a small wooden boat with me, the boatman and one Indonesian lady on board. The way was bumpy… The woman was praying, and I developed a very sophisticated ;) plan in case we sink - grab my credit card and swim to the nearest island :D We made it safe and sound to Manado and the following day it was time to get on my way back to Europe. From Manado to Jakarta, from Jakarta to Dubai and then from Dubai to Warsaw...

No comments:

Post a Comment